Jacob Chansley, also known as “QAnon Shaman”, was reprimanded by a federal judge on Friday after the alleged Capitol riot appeared in a “60 Minutes Plus” interview that aired the day before.
District Judge Royce C. Lamberth in Washington, DC, raised questions about Chansley’s appearance on the program during a detention hearing. Lamberth questioned whether Chansley and his lawyer Albert Watkins went through the appropriate channels to obtain permission to attend, according to The Washington Post.
In his interview, Chansley expressed that his involvement in the January 6 Capitol riot “was not an attack on this country”. He also stated that he entered the Capitol building because he “believed that Donald Trump protected us”.
Chansley said he also remains loyal to the ancients President TrumpDonald TrumpTrump announces new installment of DeSantis endorsements, Pence tied in 2024 Republican vote Lawmakers demand changes after National Guard troops on Capitol Hill fell ill from contaminated food MORE although he was not forgiven by the president before leaving the White House.
“I developed a lot of sympathy for Donald Trump because it looked like the media was messing with him and it looked like the establishment was going after him unnecessarily or unfairly, and I had been a victim of it all my life, whether at school or at home. So, in many ways, I identify with many of the negative things he was going through, “said Chansley in the interview.
Watkins admitted to the judge that he made “independent arrangements” to get Chansley an interview on “60 Minutes Plus”, but denied that he was misleading in his actions, the Post reported.
Chansley has been in prison since his arrest in his hometown, Phoenix, on January 9. He is currently awaiting trial.
Earlier this week, federal prosecutors argued that Chansley should not be released from prison before his trial, writing in a lawsuit that he was a danger to the community.
“You can’t trust him now to suddenly change course,” prosecutors wrote.