CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland Cavaliers made the decision to leave mercurial swingman Kevin Porter Jr. – a disappointing ending to their promising and equally turbulent Cleveland management. It is a decision that the Cavs did not make in a hurry and supported by the players, many of whom tried to help Porter.
“We get it,” a player told cleveland.com on Monday afternoon. “It needed to happen to maintain our culture. Things are going in a positive direction now. “
“It is difficult in every way. It’s sad, ”said another player. “Nobody likes to see that happen, but there was no other option. Just hoping for the best for him. “
Cavs have been making commercial offers to choose the first round of 2019 and will continue to explore the market, sources say. If they can’t find a deal soon, Porter will be released, the sources say.
“I think the players will be disappointed because they have a relationship with Kevin like the rest of us,” said Cavs coach JB Bickerstaff, who did not specifically confirm Porter’s status in the organization, but certainly suggested a way out. “I feel like the guys are convinced of what we are trying to do and they will continue to show up and give us the effort that they have given us so far.”
The Cavs spent months trying to help Porter get his life back together – although a source recently labeled him an “energy drain”. On Thursday, Porter trained with the team. The next night, he joined his teammates on the bench, cheering for them and interacting happily with coaches and players during the 106-103 victory against the New York Knicks – part of the organization’s reintegration plan.
It seemed that Porter was taking positive steps towards an eventual comeback. But his petty explosion in the locker room after the game, which was the culmination of countless missteps, including disrespecting teammates and team members, became the tipping point.
Porter got angry and started screaming when he entered the locker room and realized that the team had given his old closet to newcomer Prince Taurino, which was acquired in James Harden’s blockbuster last week. A source said the decision was based on NBA seniority and the spacing to adhere to the COVID-19 protocols. General manager Koby Altman, whose relationship with Porter dates back to when he was a freshman at USC, came in and tried to talk about it. Porter did not calm down and the verbal exchange between Porter and Altman was “uncomfortable for everyone there,” said a source who testified.
After this confrontation, Porter was instructed to clean his closet and removed from the building. He didn’t practice the next day. Cavs was off Sunday. They returned to the ground on Monday without Porter, who has been banned from the team’s facilities for the time being.
“We all want to see Kevin’s success and I still feel that way,” said Bickerstaff. “So, whatever happens in the future with him, I expect nothing but the best for him. And it is part of our responsibility as coaches to do our best for everyone and try to do the best in each situation. I can say that we did it. “
Bickerstaff said the Cavs had a great day of practice. Newcomers Prince and Jarrett Allen participated for the first time. Darius Garland, Collin Sexton and Dylan Windler were involved. Bickerstaff did not feel Porter’s situation like any kind of distraction or black cloud. As a team, the Cavs even watched a part of Martin Luther King’s “I have a dream” speech, discussing how relative the speech is now.
“We will continue to build together,” said Bickerstaff. “We just want the best for him to move on. No matter what it looks like, we want the best for Kevin. “
Porter, 20, has yet to play this season due to personal problems and was frustrated because the team was holding him. In August 2020, he was accused of punching a woman in the face. In October, Porter posted a black square on his Instagram with the message “Would you like to see the end of your time?” This incident caused Cavs officers and comrades to come to him, making sure he was okay and offering help. He was involved in a car accident in November. He was arrested and charged with improper handling of a firearm in a motor vehicle, lack of vehicle control and misdemeanor possession of marijuana. All of these charges were dismissed.
After averaging 10 points and 3.2 rebounds as a rookie last year in 23.2 minutes, Porter was considered one of the bright spots of this reconstruction and a potential milestone in the franchise. The team took an option on Porter’s contract last month and he has a year of $ 1.7 million left in that deal. Now, despite the abundance of talent, his future in the NBA is in jeopardy.
“Brutal news,” said a rival executive. “I just hope the boy makes the right decisions at his next opportunity, or he won’t have another one.”
The Cavs took a chance on Porter last June, believing in his talent and the structure they created. But the problems of maturity, which caused him to fall on the night of the enlistment, persisted – and go far beyond a prison on November 15, a recent shouting dispute with Altman and a tantrum for throwing food. He was unable to tie enough good days in a row and continued to sabotage his own progress.
For all that, the Cavs stayed with him. Altman even called him a “good person”. They never suspended it. They did not fine him. They tried to work with him, investing time, energy, effort and resources. They gave him countless opportunities – perhaps more than any other organization would – to show that he was emotionally capable of handling everything that comes with being an NBA player and professional. Bickerstaff had a special interest in Porter’s development. But the collective tiredness became very great and the concern of him being a negative influence started to grow.
“I hope he can change things, but he has to want to help himself first of all,” said another player.
Bickerstaff was asked on Monday why it didn’t work in Cleveland. He even thought about his role and if there was anything he could have done differently.
“I really believe we did our best to make it work,” said Bickerstaff. “I can be calm about this.”

–
New Cavs face masks for sale: This is where you can buy Cleveland Cavaliers themed facial covers for coronavirus protection, including a single mask ($ 14.99) and a pack of 3 ($ 24.99). All NBA proceeds donated to charities.
More Cavaliers coverage
Bickerstaff challenge: finding space for Allen, Drummond and McGee on the front lines
Consecutive games vs. Washington postponed due to COVID concerns
The reconstruction plan comes into focus with Jarrett Allen’s trade that was ‘too good to pass up’
Detailing the Allen Agreement, Prince: Podcast
Cavaliers jump in the Harden trade are a great addition to the growth of the young nucleus
Cavaliers acquire Jarrett Allen, Taurean Prince in a Harden blockbuster
Riders looking for small victories while injuries increase
Injuries, injuries and more injuries for Cavaliers: Podcast
Helpless knights, without firepower to accompany Jazz