Biden pledges shelter in Texas for young migrants ‘won’t be open for long’

President bidenJoe BidenHouse Democrats Approve .9T COVID-19 Relief Bill with Minimum Wage Increase Biden to hold virtual bilateral meeting with Mexican president on Friday, he promised that a shelter for young migrants in Texas “will not remain open for long” amid bipartisan criticism of his government’s decision to reopen the shelter for migrants aged 13-17.

Critics saw the opening of the facility in Carrizo Springs, Texas, similar to the hardline immigration tactics of the old President TrumpDonald TrumpBiden to hold virtual bilateral meeting with Mexican President More than 300 accused in connection with the Capitol riot Trump Jr.: There are “many” rulers who should be challenged MOREgovernment, although Biden insisted that his government’s approach was different.

“Our hope and expectation is that it will not remain open for long, that we can provide for every child who crosses the border to be safely housed in a licensed facility,” said Biden. during an interview with Univision on Friday.

Biden said the shelter was opened because “thousands” of unaccompanied migrant children were crossing the border. He added that his government managed to place a “significant number” of them in shelters across the country.

The New York Times reported that more than 2,000 young unaccompanied migrants were intercepted by the border patrol last week.

The president said his government is working to connect young migrants with their families pending an audience.

“Take them to the families they came to see or are looking for. And we’ve already connected thousands of them along the way, so our hope is to bring these children together with their families while they wait for an audience, ”Biden told Univision.

The interview marked the first time that Biden spoke directly about the situation. The White House said earlier that it was a temporary measure needed to keep young migrants safe during the COVID-19 outbreak.

During an appearance on “The View” On thursday, White House press secretary Jen PsakiJen PsakiBiden to have bilateral virtual meeting with Mexican president Night defense: Biden sends message with air attack on Syria US intelligence points to Saudi crown prince in Khashoggi’s murder | Pentagon launches civilian-led sexual assault commission on the Biden administration to give Congress full confidential information about the attacks in Syria next week MORE said this was not like Trump’s policies and insisted it was the “best decision” to keep children safe due to the coronavirus pandemic.

“In COVID’s time, this meant that we needed to open up additional space so that we could have educational care, so that we could have legal care, so that we could have medical and health care and have those children there, treated humanely until we can find a adequate home, family accommodation for these children, ”she said.

.Source