
Photographer: Waldo Swiegers / Bloomberg
Photographer: Waldo Swiegers / Bloomberg
sign up to our Next Africa newsletter and follow Bloomberg Africa on twitter
Investigations by South African authorities to issue questionable contracts worth 13.3 billion ($ 889 million) to provide equipment and services needed to combat the coronavirus have found that several employees have blatantly ignored the procurement rules and procedures.
Investigations into about a quarter of the contracts have been finalized and 38 cases have been referred to the National Prosecutor’s Office for criminal prosecution, while disciplinary measures have been recommended against 25 officials, said Andy Mothibi, head of the country’s Special Investigation Unit. Some 260 million rand in cash and assets have been identified as recoverable from suppliers, he said.
“My observation is that blatant and arbitrary contempt is underpinned by the insatiable pursuit of personal enrichment,” Mothibi told reporters on Friday. “This cannot go unpunished.”
The unit found that some suppliers charged more for services and were paid without providing proof of delivery, while some employees allegedly gave contracts to their friends.
Read more: South Africa investigates dubious virus contracts worth $ 292 million
South Africa has confirmed 1.47 million coronavirus infections so far, the majority in Africa. The government issued R $ 30.7 billion in contacts between April and November for companies to provide personal protective equipment and other equipment and services to enable them to respond to the pandemic.
The procurement scandal is particularly embarrassing for President Cyril Ramaphosa, who promised to crack down on the graft that had become endemic during his predecessor Jacob Zuma’s nine-year term. Khusela Diko, spokesman for Ramaphosa, and Bandile Masuku, head of health in central Gauteng province, are among those who have allegedly benefited from supply contacts and have been forced to vacate their positions.
Read more: Spokesperson for the South African president faces disciplinary proceedings
“It is disheartening to see state officials at all levels of government, who have been called to serve the people of South Africa, being involved in illegal and illegal activities,” said Mothibi. “SIU will continue to pursue all employees who resigned in the face of investigations or disciplinary action, freezing their pensions and instituting civil suits to recover the money stolen from the state.”