Offensive coordinator of USC talks about allegations in the state of Colorado

South Carolina’s offensive coordinator, Mike Bobo, responded publicly for the first time on Thursday regarding recent published allegations of racial insensitivity and abusive behavior while he was Colorado’s head coach.

“I am offended that someone as a member of my team, coach or support team was treated as racially insensitive or there may have been abuse,” Bobo told reporters during a videoconference. “One thing I can say is that we were a family there, we loved each other and I can honestly say that I treated people how I would like to be treated, how I would like my child to be treated. Hold them accountable for a higher standard and love them. “

Bobo added: “On this issue, I met with (USC athletics director Ray) Tanner and part of his management team about this when it came up, right after the article was published. I was completely transparent and honest about all the questions that came up. I understand (Tanner) talked to several players on our football team, talked to some people in Colorado State, but again I was completely transparent and I have nothing to hide in the ongoing investigation (Tanner) presented. “

Bobo, who signed a two-year contract for $ 1.2 million a year in December after being appointed to replace Bryan McClendon, has been accused of misbehavior by some former players and officials, both on and off the record, in a August 11 article published in the Coloradoan based in Fort Collins, where the CSU campus is located.

The article cited interviews with more than 20 former CSU football players and athletics department officials, saying: “they have witnessed recurrent cases of racial insensitivity and abusive behavior within the department”.

The article added that there was a “loss of confidence that continued when (athletic director Joe) Parker failed to respond to complaints from players and staff involving Bobo, whom they accused of making racially insensitive comments and verbally harassing technical assistants. , players and team during its five years. “

Bobo, who was 28-35 during his tenure there, received a $ 1.825 million buyout.

The university was examining complaints of misuse of the appropriate COVID-19 protocols under the command of new coach Steve Addazio before expanding its investigation to include the alleged racial insensitivity and abuse. Earlier this month, the university suspended all football activities while matters were being analyzed.

USC and Tanner are now conducting their own investigation into the charges against Bobo.

“I have waited until this moment out of respect for Coach Tanner and his investigation into it,” said Bobo of publicly commenting. “For me and my family it has been a difficult time because I know who I am and how I treat people. But at the same time, I am very grateful for the support that I obviously received from family, friends, former players and teammates, guys I coached, parents and guardians. It has been really impressive and I want to thank these people.

“I spoke to most of them personally, but one thing that made me realize is that it made me want to be a better coach, person, father and husband. A better brother, a better teammate for my former teammates, a best friend. When you read these things, you realize that you have done some good things, but you can do better. “

USC coach Will Muschamp said on Monday about the charges against Bobo: “These allegations to me are completely absurd. I’ve known Mike since 1993 and he doesn’t have a racist bone in his body. That is really all I am going to comment on at the moment. I’m looking forward to commenting more, but I don’t want to give the article more credibility because it doesn’t deserve it. “

Bobo said that he and his family loved his five years in the state of Colorado and the end result was that he simply did not earn enough during his tenure. He added that he is grateful for the support he received from Tanner and Muschamp, together with the USC administration.

“I’m not perfect, I never claimed to be perfect, I never claimed to be a guy who has the answers to everything,” said Bobo.

Source