On Monday, North Carolina enters 1B, the next phase of its distribution plan for the COVID-19 vaccine, meaning that seniors should soon have access to vaccines.
The first Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines, which were administered in the United States in mid-December, were prioritized for healthcare professionals and those who live or work in long-term care facilities.
Now, other essential frontline workers and people 75 and older will also be able to receive the vaccine.
At a state press conference last week, North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services secretary Dr. Mandy Cohen said she hopes to share more information soon about the updated vaccine implementation plan, which could use CVS and Walgreens to help administer vaccines to the elderly.

Davidson County, which lies to the west of the Triangle, has already announced applications for seniors and will begin distributing to that group on Monday.
It has been 21 days since the first COVID-19 vaccine, manufactured by Pfizer-BioNTech, was administered in the Triangle. Anyone who received the Pfizer vaccine on December 14 can now receive their second dose.

At least three weeks should separate the administration of the two doses. The Pfizer vaccine appears to be about 52% effective after the first dose and 95% effective after the second dose. Pfizer and Moderna vaccines require two doses.
Phases 2, 3 and 4 are next
Phase 2, the next phase, will allow adults at high risk of exposure and at greater risk of serious illness to receive vaccines, including anyone aged 65-74, regardless of their medical condition or life situation.
In Phase 2, people under 65 can be vaccinated if they have a medical condition that increases the risk of serious COVID-19 disease, along with the remaining essential workers and people living or working in care facilities.
In Phase 3, college, university and high school students aged 16 and over can be vaccinated. When the state enters Phase 4, anyone who wants a COVID-19 vaccine can get it.
Cohen said it would be months before the COVID-19 vaccines were widely available to the public.
“Until most people are vaccinated, everyone needs to continue to wear a mask, wait two meters away and wash their hands,” she said.
Increased coronavirus in North Carolina

North Carolina saw another spike in COVID-19 cases, with the first two days of 2021 showing 19,000 new cases in our state and most counties in red, a critical area of community spread. Doctors told WRAL that it will take two full weeks after Christmas to see the impact of the holiday on COVID-19 numbers.
Since many people return to work on Monday, health officials advise anyone who has traveled or met in a large group during the holidays to take the test.
Wake County has set up two new test sites to meet the demand for tests, and some patients are receiving results within hours. No compromises are necessary.
The test sites opened on Monday include:
Marsh Creek Park, 3050 N. New Hope Road, Raleigh
11am to 4pm
Roberts Park, 1300 E. Martin St.
11am to 4pm
Method Community Park, 514 Method Road, Raleigh
11am to 4pm
As of Monday, North Carolina may exceed 7,000 COVID-19 deaths. The number of people currently hospitalized with COVID-19 is 3,576, the highest number since the beginning of the pandemic.