Minneapolis City Council approves $ 27 million deal for George Floyd property

“The horrible death of George Floyd, witnessed by millions of people around the world, sparked a deep yearning and an undeniable demand for justice and change,” said Ben Crump, a lawyer for the Floyd family, in a statement. “That the biggest pre-trial settlement in a negligent death case would never be for the life of a black man sends a powerful message that black lives are important and police brutality against people of color must end.”

The news comes as the jury selection is underway for the trial of Derek Chauvin, a former Minneapolis police officer accused of killing Floyd, a 46-year-old black man, in May 2020, kneeling on his neck for nearly eight minutes.

Floyd’s final words included “I can’t breathe”, and his last moments of life were videotaped. His death led to widespread protests against police brutality and racism under the motto Black Lives Matter, as well as incidents of unrest and looting.

Chauvin pleaded not guilty to second-degree manslaughter and wrongful death charges. He also pleaded not guilty to third-degree murder, which was reinstated in the case on Thursday.

George Floyd’s sister, Bridgett Floyd, said on Friday that the family is “satisfied that this part of our tragic journey to justice for my brother George has been resolved.”

Mayor Jacob Frey tweeted, “Last year drastically changed the trajectory of our city and today marks another milestone in shaping a fairer future for Minneapolis. Our agreement with the family of George Floyd reflects a shared commitment to advancing racial justice and a sustained drive for progress. “

In July, Floyd’s family filed a federal civil rights suit against the city of Minneapolis and the four former police officers involved in his death.

The lawsuit said the city had promoted a culture of excessive force and impunity within the police force and had failed to fire dangerous policemen.

.Source