Filed under “Things we didn’t know were still one thing” is the news that almost a year after making her “Megxit” with her husband Prince Harry of the UK and royal senior status, Meghan Markle, also known as Duchess of Sussex, “Abandoned plans to become a citizen of the UK”, reports the British news publication the telegraph.
Like CNN reported in late 2017, months before Markle married a member of the royal family in May 2018, she began the process of establishing citizenship in her new home, which would prove to be inhospitable enough in the next two years for her and Harry to decide to move out while the order was still pending. Report how this development can disrupt the citizenship process, Harper’s Bazaar explained the following in November 2019:
O official government website says: “To apply as a spouse or civil partner for a British citizen, you must have lived in the UK for the past three years.” It was reported in November 2017 that Meghan officially moved to London from Canada, before his engagement to Prince Harry. If that was, in fact, the actual date on which the Duchess moved to England, then she has lived in the United Kingdom for less than three years.
Other rules stipulate that a candidate must not have “spent more than 270 days outside the UK during the 3 years prior to its application” or “spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months”. These rules could also render Meghan’s application for British citizenship null and void.
Like Maria Clara pointed out on Sunday since Meghan left the UK in January 2020 and has not returned since March last year, when she participated in the Commonwealth Day Service 2020 as the last of her real obligations, she far exceeded the 90-day limit for stays abroad – in fact, assuming that November 2017 started the three-year residence clock, she was nowhere near. In addition, she and Harry were not only absent from the UK, but officially took up residence elsewhere since they left, spending several months in Canada (where Meghan worked for seven years while filming her hit show Suits and reportedly left his belongings after the move, according to The telegraph), and later buying a house in Montecito, California.– as well as ink of several lucrative promotions this presumably requires the Sussex to remain in the United States.
At that time, they also launched the Archewell Foundation, named after the 20-month-old son Archie. Formwork the Sussex Royal website a year ago, when they abandoned the “real” of their brand, the Guardian reminds us that the couple’s social media manager at the time promised that their online presence would continue in another non-“real” capacity, despite retaining their titles as duke and duchess.
G / O Media can receive a commission
“Yes, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will continue to have a social media platform,” said the response to an inquiry. “They are eager to continue using social media and believe that their updated media approach will allow them to share more, with you, directly.”
Since Archewell has no presence on social media or identifiers (although they have undoubtedly been protected), the Sussex apparently deviated from that decision, perhaps after Markle identified herself as “the most trolled person of 2019“(it’s also important to note that before that, the social media guidelines for Buckingham Palace have changed in response to the online harassment and abuse of Markle and her sister-in-law Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge.
It’s been a year since “Megxit” (made official by the most formally known “Sandringham Summit”) It became a admittedly superficial catchphrase for the very worrying departure of the Sussex from Harry’s home country and the financial dependence of the royal family – and, by extension, British taxpayers. Like People Reflected on the decision last week, sources told the outlet that the couple does not regret having made “a great leap of faith to embark on their new life”. And for those who still intend to blame Meghan for Harry’s separation from the “Firm” (as it is supposedly called by contemporary royalty), a source close to the prince refutes this narrative.
“It has always been their dream to be financially independent and pay their own expenses,” they told People. “Harry was finally doing what he wanted for years, and having Meghan and [19-month-old son] Archie with him was all he could have asked for ”
“To remain in the real system is to agree to subservience to those older than you,” agreed royal historian Robert Lacey. “He claimed his own identity.”