The ‘KFConsole’ is real. It is a real thing that is happening, apparently.
The fast food chain teased the console in June and accessed Twitter yesterday to make the official announcement, boldly proclaiming that “The wars of the islands are on.“
The goofy and serious “do the impossible” type that accompanies the ad is worthy of the Super Bowl. Check out:
KFC’s next game system doesn’t have a price or release date yet, but we do know a few things about the machine:
- KFConsole is being built in partnership with PC maker Cooler Master. It seems likely that this is more of a custom PC build than a real console.
- It will have robust specs and is capable of running games at 4k / 240fps, something you won’t often find on PS5 or Xbox Series X.
- At the heart of KFConsole is an Intel Nuc 9 Extreme Compute Element that houses an Intel Core i9-9980HK processor.
- There is also a hot-swappable GPU, which means that you can update your KFConsole on the road (unlike other consoles, but a lot like PCs).
- The storage is a pair of PCIe NVMe Seagate BarraCuda 1TB SSDs, which is twice the storage you’ll find on an Xbox Series X and almost three times that of a PS5. Maybe not so fast, but still very fast.
- KFConsole is VR ready and supports ray tracing.
But the biggest and most important thing you need to know about KFConsole is that it will keep your chicken warm. It does this through its cooling system, which redirects heat to a newly designed chicken chamber.
I do not recommend using this chamber for chicken, however, or for any other edible product, especially those with brittle breads. It is a . . . new concept, but probably not very hygienic. This may not be a good idea for the computer itself, and I’m not sure if you should be eating heated chicken inside a custom PC. In addition, KFC is not exactly the type of food you should eat while playing. Licking your finger is good, perhaps, but very messy. At a minimum, wash your hands before picking up a gamepad or mouse and keyboard.
So yes. This is the new video game console from KFC. Will wonders never cease?
Happy almost 2021 to everyone. What a strange year.