RIYADH, Saudi Arabia – Yemen’s Houthi rebels, aligned with Iran, said they attacked a major Saudi Arabian oil port in the Persian Gulf with drones and missiles on Sunday. Saudi officials said the attack caused no casualties or damage.
Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Energy said an attack “from the sea” targeted oil tanks at the port of Ras Tanura. He condemned what he called “repeated acts of sabotage and hostility” aimed at providing energy to the world.
“All indications point to Iran,” said an adviser to the Saudi royal court who said he had been briefed on the matter. He said it was not clear whether the source was Iran or Iraq, but that it did not come from the direction of Yemen.
Iranian officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment. An Iraqi official said he was unaware of any connection between his country and the attack.
In 2019, a drone and missile attack on the heart of Saudi Arabia’s oil industry temporarily interrupted half of the kingdom’s oil production. At the time, the Houthis took responsibility, but the United States said the attack was launched from Iraq or Iran, which denied the charges.