Internal FBI memo warns of plans for armed protests in all 50 capitals before Biden’s inauguration

An internal FBI memo is warning about plans for armed protests in all 50 state capitals before President-elect Joe Biden took office, Fox News learns.

A federal law enforcement source told Fox News that an internal memo from the office is warning that protests may occur before, on and after Induction Day.

THE FBI VISITED EXTREMISTS BEFORE THE CAPITOL RIOTS, I EXHIBIT THEM NOT TO TRAVEL TO WASHINGTON DC

The memo was released just as Fox News learned that the FBI had received more than “40,000 digital media tips, including videos and photos, from the public” about participants in last week’s Capitol riot.

Sources told Fox News on Sunday that the FBI visited extremists ahead of the January 6 pro-Trump rally and Capitol riot, asking them not to travel to Washington DC

It is unclear, at this point, how many extremists were contacted and how far ahead on January 6.

Pro-Trump protesters stormed the Capitol on January 6, sending Congress into recess and the Capitol building blocked as members tried to certify the results of the presidential election in favor of President-elect Joe Biden.

The president spoke earlier in the day in Washington at a rally for his supporters, who later marched to the Capitol. He further pressured Vice President Mike Pence to act on his own to cancel certification of the election results and send them back to the states for recertification.

Pence, before the start of the joint session of Congress, said he did not believe, according to the Constitution, that he had the authority to accept or reject “unilaterally” electoral votes.

While members of the House and Senate debated and objected to certain electoral votes, both houses were forced to retreat and evacuate their chambers while protesters invaded the Capitol, leaving it closed for hours.

Washington police said the Capitol rebellion resulted in five deaths – including a Capitol police officer and a woman who was shot inside the building – and at least 70 arrests.

The Justice Department has accused more than a dozen people involved in the unrest and dozens more have been charged at the High Court in Washington DC with illegal entry, curfew violations and firearm-related crimes.

DOJ CHARGES 2 MEN IN CONNECTION WITH THE CAPITOL MOTIVATION

Last month, President Trump promised supporters a “wild” protest in DC on Jan. 6.

NBC News first reported that the FBI visited extremists who planned to attend pro-Trump rallies, and reported that the FBI alerted the Capitol Police about potential violence that day.

Despite warnings about the pro-Trump demonstrations in Washington, the Capitol Police did not plan to increase the team and did not anticipate that the demonstration would turn into a massive violent riot, according to people informed of the police response.

The Capitol Police’s response drew the condemnation of lawmakers and led to the dismissal of the head of the department and the House and Senate arms sergeants.

Meanwhile, now ex-US Capitol Police Chief Steven Sund reportedly asked his supervisors in advance for permission to ask the DC National Guard to stand by if the situation got out of hand – but was denied.

Fox News’ Stephanie Pagones and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Source