Famous Australian chef removed from Facebook for spreading incorrect information about COVID-19

Facebook announced on Thursday that it removed the page from famous Australian chef Pete Evans because he shared incorrect information about the coronavirus on the platform.

“We do not allow anyone to divulge wrong information about COVID-19 that could lead to imminent physical damage or (about) COVID-19 vaccines that have been unmasked by public health experts,” said Facebook in a statement, according to Reuters .

Evans, who was accused of being a conspiracy theorist, routinely shared unproven statements on his Facebook page, calling the coronavirus pandemic “scam” and “BS”. The former judge of the Australian cooking show “My Kitchen Rules” has gained almost one million followers on his Facebook account, Reuters reported.

“We have clear policies against this type of content and have removed Chef Pete Evans’ Facebook page for repeated violations of these policies,” said Facebook, according to Reuters.

Evans also encouraged his Facebook followers not to test for the virus. He announced to his Instagram followers last month that he would no longer post to Facebook, but continued until his page was officially removed on Thursday.

Facebook, the owner of Instagram, did not say why it allowed Evan’s Instagram account to remain active, Reuters reported.

The social media giant announced earlier this month that it would begin removing disinformation about the coronavirus vaccine in an attempt to further manage disinformation on the platform.

.Source