The head of a marketing firm outside Chicago, who was arrested during the siege of the Capitol, says breaking into the building was the “worst decision” of his life.
Bradley Rukstales, the 52-year-old CEO and president of Cogensia, confirmed his arrest by the Capitol Police for illegal entry into Washington on Wednesday for WBEZ.
President Trump’s campaign contributor said the first arrest of his life was the result of an “extremely poor trial” as he followed hundreds of others through a set of open doors to invade the Capitol – resulting in a woman being shot dead, three others dying from medical emergencies and a Capitol police officer succumbing to his injuries.
“My decision to enter Capitol was wrong and I am deeply sorry to have done so,” said Rukstales in a statement. “Without qualification and as a peaceful and law-abiding citizen, I condemn the violence and destruction that occurred in Washington.”
Rukstales also apologized to his family, colleagues and “countrymen” for his actions.
“It was the worst personal decision of my life,” continued the executive’s statement. “I have no excuse for my actions and I wish I could withdraw them.”
Rukstales’ employer, however, announced on Twitter on Thursday that he had been put on leave to assess the incident, saying he was acting on his own behalf while participating in the riots.
A CBS Chicago reporter also spoke with Rukstales at his home in Inverness, where he briefly recalled what he saw before interrupting the interview.
“I mean, it was great to see a lot of people together in the morning and listen to the speeches, but, uh, yes, it was chaos,” he recalled on Thursday.
“I had nothing to do with charging anyone, nothing or anything – I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and I regret my part of it. And that’s all I feel comfortable saying. “
Rukstales had previously donated more than $ 28,000 to Republicans, including $ 12,000 to Trump through various committees, according to campaign contributions obtained by the station.
Another man from the Chicago suburb, a freelance tattoo artist from Roselle, was also arrested in Washington on Wednesday. The Metropolitan Police said they accused David Fitzgerald, 48, of illegal entry for federal reasons and violation of the curfew near the Capitol on Wednesday night, the WBEZ reported.
A Chicago real estate broker and admitted “a big Trump supporter” also lost his job for posting on social media about “breaking into the Capitol,” reported the Chicago Tribune.
Libby Andrews, 56, told the newspaper she did not enter the Capitol, but was photographed near the door while wearing a Trump knitted cap, according to the report.
“I think it’s awful that someone broke down the door,” said Andrews, adding that she had already received another job offer. “I think what happened is horrible. I condemn acts of violence ”.