The stars showed their support for Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, following the bombing, an exclusive interview with Oprah Winfrey that aired on Sunday on CBS. It was the first one she and her husband, Prince Harry, have given since they stepped away from their official royal duties last year.
Harry and Meghan have spent a lot of time giving their version of many of the tabloid stories that have been circulating about them since they came together.
When Oprah asked Meghan if she was concerned about how the royal family would react to the interview, the Duchess replied, “I don’t know how they could hope that, after all this time, we would still be silent if there was an active role that ‘The Firm ‘(royal family) is playing in perpetuating falsehoods about us. And if that comes with the risk of losing things, I mean, there is a lot that has already been lost. “
Meghan and Harry gave their opinions on the drama behind their real departure and questions they said arose about “how dark” their baby’s skin tone would be. Meghan also talked about having suicidal thoughts, and she and Harry offered their opinions on how they were treated by members of the royal family.
After the interview, tennis legend Serena Williams tweeted a message of support to the Duchess of Sussex, saying: “Meghan Markle, my selfless friend, lives her life – and leads by example – with empathy and compassion. She teaches me every day what it means to be truly noble. Her words illustrate the pain and cruelty she experienced. “
Other celebrities, activists and artists like Jada Pinkett Smith, Leslie Jordan and Bernice King were brought up to speak, supporting the couple. Some even created jokes aimed at the monarchy.
Meghan also received support from stars like Gabrielle Union, Chance the Rapper and Halle Berry, who came forward to defend her on Thursday against accusations of bullying.
The UK newspaper The Times reported that Meghan faces charges of intimidation by royal household officials during her time at Kensington Palace. The palace says it will investigate the allegations, but a spokesman for Meghan and Harry called them a “smear campaign calculated on the basis of misleading and damaging misinformation”.