Britain to restrict unhealthy food promotion from April 2022

ARCHIVE PHOTO: Chips are seen in Hawksmoor, Seven Dials on the opening day of the “Eat Out to Help Out” scheme, amid the coronavirus disease pandemic (COVID-19), in London, Great Britain on August 3, 2020. Photo taken on August 3, 2020. REUTERS / Dylan Martinez

LONDON (Reuters) – Beginning in April 2022, Britain will ban “buy a light one free” promotions for foods high in fat, sugar or salt and free refills of sugary soft drinks in restaurants, said the government on Monday, his last step in his plan to fight obesity and improve public health.

The government says obesity is one of Britain’s biggest long-term public health problems, with nearly two-thirds of adults in England overweight and one in three children leaving primary school overweight or obese.

The measures will also restrict where promotions of such products can be advertised in a store, and unhealthy promotions will not be allowed at checkouts, store entrances or at the end of aisles.

“We are restricting promotions and introducing a series of measures to ensure that healthy choice is the easy choice. Creating an environment that helps everyone eat healthier food more regularly is crucial to improving the nation’s health, ”said Public Health Minister Jo Churchill.

Britain first proposed restricting “buy a light one for free” deals in junk food in July, and also announced measures such as banning junk food ads on TV and online before 9 pm.

Last month, the government went further and proposed a total ban on online advertising of unhealthy foods.

Excess weight has been shown to increase the risk of serious illness or death from COVID-19 – a fact highlighted by Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who spoke publicly about his own need to lose weight since he was hospitalized with the disease.

Reporting by Alistair Smout, edited by Louise Heavens

.Source