Sacramento Kings made their second term change, acquiring more talent, but this time at a real cost.
Cory Joseph is on his way to Detroit with two choices for Delon Wright’s runoff. Despite having four years less experience in the NBA, Wright is only a year younger than Joseph, so it is unclear why the Kings thought he would fit better in his timeline.
The Detroit Pistons are swapping point guard Delon Wright for Sacramento Kings for point guard Cory Joseph and two choices in the second round, sources told ESPN.
– Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) March 25, 2021
Kings is sending a 2021 via second round of choice via Lakers and his own 2024 second round to Pistons in the deal, the source told ESPN. https://t.co/yXGXXwbsL6
– Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) March 25, 2021
Wright is another defensive-minded guard with a questionable jumper. At 6’5, he is more playable in lineups of three guards than Joseph, but this is still a strange assessment for the Kings considering that they have their future guard at De’Aaron Fox and another ball handler at Tyrese Haliburton. Wright is in the second year of a three-year contract and is expected to pay $ 8.5 million next season.
Sacramento was previously in talks with the Pistons about Saddiq Bey; these conversations did not take place, but they may have laid the foundations for this specific trade.
In addition, watching Woj break that trade on live television is a pleasure.
This story will be updated as more information becomes available.