Britain’s Secretary of Health, Matt Hancock, said in an interview on Wednesday that the 2011 film “Contagion” helped influence his approach to how best to launch the COVID-19 vaccine in the UK
CLICK FOR THE LATEST CORONAVIRUS
Hancock was a guest at Britain’s LBC and spoke about his decision to order enough vaccines to inoculate all adults in the country. He pointed to the film and said he remembered that some of the biggest challenges the characters faced came when they were considering who to inoculate first.
RESTAURANTS THAT BEGIN TO OFFER DISCOUNTS TO VACCINATED CUSTOMERS TO HONOR ESSENTIAL WORKERS, ENCOURAGE OTHERS
He said he eliminated that concern by insisting that the country ask “enough for each adult to receive his two doses”.
“But we also asked for this clinical advice on prioritization very early and made it public so that there would be no major discussion about the order of priority,” he said.
The Independent newspaper reported the interview for the first time.,
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APPLICATION
The supply of vaccines is a sensitive issue in the European Union, which regrets that AstraZeneca has reduced the number of doses it plans to supply to the EU in the short term.
The company said last month that it planned to cut initial deliveries within the EU from 80 million doses to 31 million doses, due to reduced output from its factories in Europe.
Hancock clarified that he would not say that Steven Soderbergh’s film was his “main source of advice on this”.
The Associated Press contributed to this report